With the holidays fast approaching most of us are beginning to make our homes more festive by adding fresh flowers and plants. Even if you don’t plan on purchasing them yourself you may be gifted one so it is very important that we educate ourselves about which ones might be potentially harmful to our pets.
Below you will find a list poisonous plants and flowers that are popular during the holiday season. We have also listed the signs and symptoms to watch out for, so you can be aware of a potentially dangerous situation.
· Poinsettia Plant
· Lilies and Daffodils
· Holly and Mistletoe
· Christmas Cactus
· Pine tree needles
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
Since many plants are irritants, especially for the gastrointestinal tract, most symptoms seen will be the result of irritation or inflammation, such as redness, swelling, or itchiness of the skin or mouth.
If the toxic principle directly affects a particular organ, the symptoms seen will be related to that organ. For example:
· Difficulty breathing (if the airways are affected)
· Drooling or difficulty swallowing (if the mouth, throat, or esophagus is affected)
· Vomiting (if the stomach or intestines are affected)
· Diarrhea (if the intestines or colon are affected)
· Excessive drinking and urinating (if the kidneys are affected)
· Fast, slow, or irregular heart beat (if the heart is affected)
Call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-213-6680
Call the number above or your vet, if you see any of the symptoms.
“The more toxic the plant, the more careful you should be with displaying them in your home. While Poinsettias and Christmas trees are generally safe for pets, holly, mistletoe, amaryllis, daffodils, and lilies should be considered quite toxic.”
If you would like to read more into these plants and what causes the irritants or poisonous effects, the links below are our sources for this educational information.